This page contains information on the following topics:
In Québec, several ministries and agencies are active in the employment and labour field:
- The Ministère du Travail, de l'Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale, in particular through Emploi-Québec and its network of Local Employment Centres (LECs), offers services to the employed and unemployed as well as to businesses
- The >Secrétariat du Conseil du trésor handles the recruiting of government employees through public competitive examinations and manages collective agreement negotiations with their unions
- The Secrétariat du travail supports businesses and workers in matters of labour relations and labour legislation
Government tools for action
The government of Québec has implemented programs and measures to provide support for the employed and unemployed and for businesses. These programs and measures are designed to support people wishing to join the labour market and those wishing to develop their skills. They also aim to assist employers in dealing with the new realities of the labour market. For information on the labour market, visit the Emploi-Québec website.
The Québec Parental Insurance Plan, for its part, offers income replacement benefits to eligible parents at the birth or adoption of their child, thus helping to create a fertile ground for work-family balance.
The Ministère du Travail, de l'Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale has the lead responsibility in various areas of employment and workforce.
The Ministère works together with national, regional and local partners and in close cooperation with various community organizations active in such areas as employment and poverty alleviation.
As an agency of the Ministère du Travail, de l'Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale, Emploi-Québec's mission is to promote employment and workforce development and to combat unemployment, exclusion and poverty. Emploi-Québec also supports businesses in the areas of human resource management and work organization.
Labour conditions and relations
Through its programs and initiatives, the Secrétariat du travail implements the main laws and regulations pertaining to employment and labour.
In Québec, working conditions are determined in accordance with various standards of public order, including those stipulated in the Act respecting labour standards. They can also be negotiated in two ways:
- through individual interactions leading to an employment contract within the meaning of the Civil Code
- through collective bargaining between union and management leading to the signing of a collective agreement within the meaning of the Labour Code
Furthermore, the Secrétariat du travail applies the Act respecting collective agreement decrees (chapter D-2) when it intervenes to disclose the results of negotiations applicable to third parties not involved in the negotiation process.
The Secrétariat du travail also provides specialized services for employers and unions with regards to labour relations.
It is incumbent upon the minister to apply the Act respecting the Ministère du Travail (chapter M-32.2) and several other pieces of legislation.
For further information