Words, motion, images
From creations of new works to performances of classics from Québec and elsewhere, the Québec theatre scene offers audiences a wide array of choices:
- Explorations of local and national identities and universal issues
- Broad variety of types of theatre
- Summer stock and creations for young audiences
Québec theatres welcome productions, actors and technicians from around the world. At the same time, Québec creators shine on international stages, combining words, motion and images in innovative, often surprising ways.
Examples of emblematic Québec theatre creators who have become international references in their respective fields:
- Michel Tremblay, one of Québec’s leading playwrights and a major novelist. Les Belles-Sœurs and other plays by Tremblay have been translated into close to 30 languages and performed around the world.
- Robert Lepage, a multidisciplinary director and performer who has travelled the world with his company, Ex Machina, and has directed theatre, opera and circus productions for renowned institutions around the planet.
- Denis Marleau, one of Québec’s best-known theatre directors in Europe. His works have been performed in prestigious national theatres in Belgium and Germany, at the Comédie-Française and in the courtyard of the Papal Palace during the Festival d’Avignon.
- Wajdi Mouawad, a daring and prolific writer, actor and director, who has become a key figure of contemporary theatre in Québec and French-speaking Europe. In 2009 he was honoured as Artistic Associate at the Festival d’Avignon.
- Suzanne Lebeau, a leading author of theatre for young audiences. Her plays have been translated into 16 languages and performed around the world, on stages as prestigious as the Comédie-Française in Paris.