Statutory holidays in Québec:
- New Years: January 1
- Easter: from Good Friday to Easter Monday
- National Patriots’ Day: the Monday before May 25
- National Holiday of Québec: June 24
- Canada Day: July 1. If July 1 falls on a Sunday, the holiday is celebrated on July 2
- Labour Day: the 1st Monday in September
- Thanksgiving: the 2nd Monday in October
- Christmas: December 25
For more information, consult the site of the Commission des normes du travail.
Vacation for one-third of Quebecers!
In effect since 1971, the “construction holiday” corresponds to the two-week period when practically all construction workers are on mandatory leave. It is estimated that in all, nearly one-third of Quebecers go on vacation at that time.
- During the summer, the construction holiday is in the last two weeks of July.
- Construction sites are closed for two weeks during the Christmas holidays.
For elementary and high school students, vacation begins a few days before June 24 and continues through the last week of August.
For college and university students, vacation starts sooner, often in May, and ends in late August.
Most workers have Saturdays and Sundays off. This is the case for the government and schools. Some employees in health services (hospitals, clinics, pharmacies), retail businesses, food stores, etc., work on weekends.